Monday, May 9, 2011

My experiment gone RIGHT! (OOpsie cake)



  This weekend was Mother's day, of course, along with my mom's and little nephew's birthdays. I searched the web for some cake or cupcake ideas, but most had ingredients that I don't have in my cupboard, so I started to get bummed out.  On Wednesday, May 4th, I had tried making one of Linda Sue's recipes called Buttery Almond Bars: http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/buttery_almond_bars.html, which I managed to mess up, but I kept the bars and crumbled them up, put them in a tupperware dish and stuck them in my freezer. They tasted really good and I thought they would be good for a crumb base for a cheese cake or something later on. (No need wasting them)  
  I had almost given up on the cake idea but for some reason I thought about the oopsie rolls....they are light and fluffy and versatile...I wonder if I can make a cake out of those?!?!?!  
  And here is what I did:
INGREDIENTS:
2 batches of oopsie batter, cook each batch separately to make 2 individual cake bases: http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/improved_revolution_rolls.html                                                                                                 

(FOR THE CAKES)                                                                                                                          
  • 4 egg whites    
  • 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar 
  • 3 egg yolks 
  • 1 teaspoon Splenda  <---I used one whole packet of Splenda for each batch (=2 tsp.)
  • Pinch salt 
  • 3 ounces cream cheese, softened 
  • PLUS....I added 1/4 tsp. of banana extract & 1/4 tsp. of vanilla extract plus 1/2 tsp. of cinnamon to the egg yolk mix for flavoring. 
   Beat the egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff. In another bowl, beat the egg yolks, Splenda, salt, cream cheese, extracts and cinnamon with a mixer until smooth. Gradually fold the yolk mixture into the egg whites being careful not to deflate the whites. 

FOR THE TOPPING AND FILLING:

-1/2 cup butter, softened 
-4 1/2 ounces almond flour, 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons 
-1 cup granular Splenda or equivalent liquid Splenda
-1 egg
-1/2 teaspoon vanilla
-1/2 teaspoon almond extract
-1/4 teaspoon baking soda
-1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar

   
  In a medium bowl, cream the butter. Add the remaining ingredients and beat just until well combined. Spread in a greased 8x8" baking pan. It's helpful to cover the dough with a sheet of plastic wrap, then gently press on the plastic to spread the dough evenly; peel off the plastic and discard. Bake at 350º 15-20 minutes until golden brown; cool. Turn out of the pan and cut into 12 "fingers". Place them on a baking sheet and continue baking at 350º about 5-10 minutes until well-browned, but not burnt. Cool completely.


Makes 12 bars
Can be frozen 

Per 1 bar: 144 Calories; 13g Fat; 3g Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 3g Net Carbs



FOR THE TOPPINGS & FILLINGS:
  • 1.5 cups heavy whipping cream 
  • 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract, 1/4 tsp. banana extract, and 3 pkts of Splenda
  • Sugar-free chocolate syrup (I used Hershey's brand)


HOW TO PUT IT ALL TOGETHER=>


  I made one batch of the oopsie batter with the added flavorings incorporated into them, and poured it into a well greased pie/cake pan (mine were 8 3/8" in diameter). Then I made a second batter, the same way, and poured it into another pie/cake pan (same size). I baked them at 300 degrees for about 35 minutes, and then increased the heat to 325 degrees and baked for another 10 min, until well browned on top. 
  I placed the 2 cakes on a cooling rack to cool. While they were cooling, I poured 1 1/2 cups of heavy whipping cream into my mixing bowl and added the vanilla and banana extracts and splenda to it and set my mixer on high to whip the cream.  
  To assemble:  take one of the cakes and place on any steady plate, pan, rack, etc. Spread 1/3 of the whipped cream across the top of the cake, then sprinkle the crumbled almond bar mixture across it. ( I used about 1/4 of it for this layer)  Place the second layer on top of this and spread the remaining whipped cream mixture over the entire cake. Crumble more of the crumbled almond bar mix over the cake (I still had 1/4 of the crumbled almond bar mixture leftover, so I only used 3/4 of the recipe for the entire cake). Then I drizzled the sugar-free chocolate syrup over the top of the entire cake.  (I estimated I used about 5 Tbsp. of the syrup for this recipe)  


I entered all the ingredients into my fatsecret.com and these are the totals I got. So I sliced the cake into 12 pieces, which makes it approx. 5.5g Net Carbs per slice.

No comments:

Post a Comment